Thursday, November 24, 2011

Progress Continues in November

After getting my supplies from Safari Thatch and Southern Bamboo, I was itching to get work done, but my job and other commitments only gave me a few more hours since I last worked on the project. Within those precious hours I have reached a milestone. I've engineered the roof cross beams with 1/2" oak dowels.  With this simple design I was able to put up all these beams by myself.  I used manila rope to hold the joints temporarily until I get the right nylon ropes from Safari Thatch. I'm going to try and go see Garth while I'm in Florida. After getting them in place, I drilled holes and hammered in oak dowels to make all the parts of the structure one piece now. The sun started to set and we had to pack up the car and head to Delray Beach.

Ends of the upper cross beams the nodes are sealed

I did  a simple 1/2 inch oak dowel so the poles could swivel

From the inside the crossbeams really makes it seem like a structure now

The center beam has a 3' overhang

The outside corner and middles are all pinned with dowels

8" oak dowels works for the size of bamboo I'm using. The manila ropes are just temporary until I get better ropes.
Once all the corners and ends were tied the whole structure became rigid

I put our teak outdoor set inside and had dinner outside the other night. Tiki torches and candles worked great, we already love it.

Walls are next

Backyard November 19th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment